Saturday, February 6, 2010

Mother Maxine's Sinful Southern Apple Cake

The other day when I was dropping my little Princess Runwild off at preschool, we gave each other a big hug and kiss before I left. The preschool director said "Boy, you and mom are big buds." Of course I quickly said  "Yes, we're the best of buddies!" I savored that moment because I know in about 2 years she will be embarrassed at my hugs and public displays of affection. As I left , it made me think of my own mother. Now let me just tell you, my mother is the best mother in the world. She really is! She is the best friend anyone could ever have. We laugh together daily! Just look at this picture from a trip we took on our birthdays (our birthdays fall one day apart).
I love that we can be goofballs together. Even if my Momma was not my momma, I would still want to be friends with her. She's just so much fun! Now, you should know, Mother Maxine is a straight shooter. She'll tell you exactly how it is. This is a quality I have come to appreciate as I have gotten older. Notice I said since I have gotten older....appreciate was not the word I was looking for when I was about 16, and she told me I looked like a hooker as I left for school. But, nonetheless, she was probably right.

Shortly after my daddy passed away, I took it upon myself to become Mother Maxine's food provider. She doesn't really like to cook and I always have leftovers. She likes to call me her "Meals on Wheels" See, I told you, she's a funny one! So, this morning I got up extra early and made this moist and delicious apple cake so that I could bring this with her "meals on wheels" for the day. Note: this is not Mother Maxines' recipe, I'm just naming it in honor of her. Remember, she doesn't like to cook....well, she likes to bake even less :) Enjoy!

The Girls
Mother Maxine, Sinful Southern Sweets, Princess Runwilder and Princess Runwild




Mother Maxine's Sinful Southern Apple Cake

Ingredients

2 cups peeled apples, thinly sliced
5 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup apple juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon orange extract

Glaze:
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup apple juice
2/3 cup white sugar
1/8 tsp. orange extract

Directions

1.Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch tube pan.
2.Mix apples, 5 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon in a bowl and set aside. Beat the oil and 2 cups of sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, allowing each egg to blend into the sugar mixture before adding the next. Beat in the vanilla and 1/4 cup of apple juice and orange extract with the last egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and stir into the sugar mixture; mixing until just incorporated. Mix in apples and pour the batter into the prepared tube pan..

3.Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 25 minutes. Allow cake to cool completely in the pan before removing.

4.To make glaze: Combine butter, 1/3 cup of apple juice, extract, and 2/3 cup of sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add in orange extract.  Pour over the warm cake while still in the pan.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Lucie said...

What a nice story about mother-daughter love! I've been lucky enough to get the same honesty treatment from my mom, especially when I tried to wear low-cut jeans in middle school...!
I love apple cakes, they're perfectly moist and taste so good with a cup of tea.

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Haha! Lucie, its true, that honestly just can't be fully appreciated until later in life!

Anonymous said...

Wow that looks yummy. Thanks for linking up with Friday Follow! I didn't see a followers widget, so I am subscribed. Happy weekend!

~ Lynn
http://www.middayescapades.com

Chef Aimee said...

Heavenly!

Barbara Bakes said...

What a beautiful family! I'm so impressed you do meals on wheels for your mom! How fun!

grace said...

what a lovely homage to mother maxine. :) this cake is purely delicious, especially with that glaze. if it's sinful, then go ahead and call me a sinner. :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

beautiful apple cake!

Krista said...

What a sweet relationship you share with your mother! This apple cake looks beautiful and sounds delicious! I bet that glaze makes it "over the top" : )

toeandhaysmom said...

this cake is soo moist. Thanks for bringing me some of that cake as well!! I about wreck on my way home trying to eat it while driving, but i'm sure that doesn't surprise you.
very yummy.

faithy said...

What a beautiful family and such close relationship you have with your mom it's envious! And lovely cake! I've never tried southern apple cake before so i gotta put that down on my to-bake list! :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful daughter! I am blessed! All of her messes in my kitchen over the years are now well worth it! This little girl is quite an accomplished cook. I wait in anticipation for my meals on wheels and... THIS APPLE CAKE IS DELICIOUS. I am not only blessed....I am proud! You guessed it.....Mother Maxine here!
Mother Maxine here!!!!!

Erin @ OneParticular Kitchen said...

Oh that looks so good! And you're so sweet to bring that to your mama. :)

Carol said...

I love your blog! I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm going to poke around more! I found you from Friday Follow. I'm going to follow you. Will you follow me?
http://songberries.blogpsot.com